Hagion - holy & sacred stuff


Welcome to my randomized study & miscellaneous thoughts about the Awesome God of the universe, who He is and what He wants us to be.

Hagion   (hag'-ee-on):
  1. reverend
  2. set apart for God, to be as it were, exclusively his
  3. services and offerings
  4. in a moral sense, pure sinless upright holy.
(from Theological Dictionary of the New Testament)








Verse of the Day


Today's Quote


Tuesday, May 04, 2004
 
Motivations

What motivates you? Money? Power? Love? Acceptance? Or a combination of these and other factors?

I’ve been playing some different games on the computer both online with others and some directly on my computer alone. Funny thing is the different way people play based upon their motivations. They may not all necessarily be trying to get the same prize or end result as you are. In an online game, I see this very easily as it shows up in the manner in which people interact with one another, the actions and reactions that they have. In some cases, this leads to hurt feelings and misunderstandings due to differences in the end goals. For example, if we were playing Monopoly together, what is your motivation? To have the most money or to own the most property or to own the most hotels, etc.? As you can see, there are different motivations. Some of them may be compatible with one another, some may not be.

What’s the point you may be asking right about now? Well, back to my original question, “What motivates you?” God, I believe, is motivated by His love. I guess “motivated” isn’t the correct term in this case because it seems to imply that He is “pressured” in some way by His love to act as He does. That, I do not believe, is the case. In actuality, God IS love. All of his actions therefore, flow out of Him, His love and would therefore be acts of love.

But we are not God are we and so, we can be pressured by different forces. We also have the ability to act or not act based upon these pressures. We may be motivated by a desire to obtain wealth but choose to live in abject poverty in order to reach some other objective. This dichotomy would certainly raise a terrific battle within us, possibly even spilling over to those around us. When I treat someone kindly, is it because I am motivated by love for them, or am I motivated by a selfish desire that causes me to act nicely toward them in order to get them to act in a certain manner?

I pray that I am motivated by God’s desires. To do His will, to obey Him, to love Him and His creation as He does. Again, what motivates you???

Praying that I’m loving for Him,
Dr. Larry