Hagion - holy & sacred stuff


Welcome to my randomized study & miscellaneous thoughts about the Awesome God of the universe, who He is and what He wants us to be.

Hagion   (hag'-ee-on):
  1. reverend
  2. set apart for God, to be as it were, exclusively his
  3. services and offerings
  4. in a moral sense, pure sinless upright holy.
(from Theological Dictionary of the New Testament)








Verse of the Day


Today's Quote


Monday, November 15, 2004
 
Pressing On

2 Corinthians 4:5-11

5 For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. 6 For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; 8 we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. 11 For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. (NASB)

So, we are:
  • afflicted in every way
  • perplexed
  • persecuted
  • struck down

    but we are also:
  • not crushed
  • not despairing
  • not forsaken
  • not destroyed

    and Paul continues by saying that we are "always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body."

    Do you ever feel afflicted, perplexed, persecuted and/or struck down? Sometimes we feel very, very weary in this world. Today is one of those days for me. I feel tired...very tired. Not just physically tired but also mentally tired. But I also have the hope, the faith and the promise that I am not to be crushed by this tiredness. I will not be destroyed for I am not forsaken. I can give the tiredness over to Jesus - whatever that means and be done with it. Or I can get myself out of the way and let Jesus live through me - whatever that means too!

    I do know that "that which does not kill me, only makes me stronger." I know that I have a race to complete, a course to traverse and an end which makes the best days here on earth seem like rubbish. But some days, the rubbish is piled around us so high that we cannot see the rest of the road to travel. On those days, it is vitally important, I believe, to realize and act upon two truths:
    (1) God does see the entire course, and,
    (2) I can see the one step in front of me...I must press on.

    Pressing on...

  • Comments: Post a Comment